Awaken Logo

Awaken Logo

Friday, October 26, 2012

Colossians - Week 1, Wednesday

Okay ladies and gentlemen, I do apologize for the absence of my blog over the past couple of days. If you read my previous post you know that we are in the middle of a transition season! Hopefully we will be going through this in more than one way also, but that will come in a later post!

As you know I have been trying to figure out how often I will blog. The whole sporadic thing leaves me feeling chaotic and without structure. I feel like too many things happen to only blog once a week. (If you are a blogger and blog in either of those manners, please know that I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. Those are my own opinions based on my individual life.) So, today I will play catch-up with you guys!

Week 1, Wednesday
Colossians 1:9-10

9 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, 10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,

Notice here what Paul is praying for these people to receive, knowledge, wisdom and understanding. Here are a couple things the Bible says about the importance of wisdom, knowledge and understanding:
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Proverbs 2:12 Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse,
Ecclesiastes 2:13 I saw that wisdom is better than folly, just as light is better than darkness.

Wisdom and understanding are important for us to have. But we don't just acquire them, we have to put in the work and effort to learn, to understand. Psalm 51:6 says "Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place." It is in our secret place with God that he reveals himself to us in the most undeniable ways! It is there that we find our answers. Proverbs 20:18 says "Plans succeed through good counsel; don’t go to war without wise advice." Often times we take this and run with it, I can be the worst at doing this! We will go to everyone we know with our problems and ask their advice and their opinions instead of going to God. If we do go to our Lord, than that time is spent with us complaining or pleading. When we should be simply in that secret place with God. Yes, lift up your needs and concerns to Him, but be willing to be quiet and wait on his answer. In the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan, he points out the significance of shutting up and letting God speak.

Psalm 46:10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; So today I challenge you, get to that secret place where it is just you and God. Meet with Him and listen. Our God has the entire world in His hands, there is plenty of room for you and your life situations. Let Him awaken something inside of you! See what happens...

~Awaken Us~
Brenna Stanford

No comments:

Post a Comment