Awaken Logo

Awaken Logo

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thirty, Sixty, or a Hundred Times!!

Have you ever heard the parable of the sower (good soil)? Oh you haven't?! Well here you go!

Mark 4

4 Again Jesus began to teach by the lake. The crowd that gathered around him was so large that he got into a boat and sat in it out on the lake, while all the people were along the shore at the water’s edge. 2 He taught them many things by parables, and in his teaching said: 3 “Listen! A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants, so that they did not bear grain. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, some multiplying thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times.”

9 Then Jesus said, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.”...

13 Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable? 14 The farmer sows the word. 15 Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them. 16 Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy. 17 But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 18 Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; 19 but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. 20 Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop—some thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times what was sown.”

This is a great great story! The cool thing about the Bible is that we're told that parable (vv. 4-8) then it is explained to us (vv.13-20)! I read this and relate to the good soil. I know that I have heard and accepted God's word. I know that I have grown in it and have became rooted and established in my faith. So then I begin to think, am I producing a crop that is multiplying the seeds that have been given to me? 

I know that there has been an abundant amount sown into my life and who I am. From the very first Sunday I ever sat in Life Church to this very day, I am surrounded by pastors and co-workers who sown seeds into my life everyday! Am I doing them justice? I know that I have had the opportunity and privilege to impact a few lives, but has the crop from my faith even produced the same amount of seed that's been sown into me? Not to mention doubling or tripling it! The thought of it being multiplied by sixty or even a hundred times rattles me, in a good way! This is a challenge that I get to face, and I am okay with it. I want to produce thirty, sixty, or a hundred times what was given to me!

But this is also a challenge that you get to face, and everyone else in the world. What type of soil will you be? You see I know some people who are like the path, they do everything in their power to try to argue with or tear apart God. All you can do is pray for those type of people.

Then there's the rocky soil. Oh believe me I know some of them! They are very emotionally driven people who are more like a roller coaster than anything else. You may be one of those type of people. The best advice I have for you is to take back control! My pastor once preached about how so often we "follow our hearts", but our hearts are evil things. Instead, we need to lead our hearts! There is a book called Who Switched Off My Brain, it is a fabulous book that explains to us how our minds work and the process all of our thoughts go through. This book also tells us how we can fix the way our brains work. We are not a victim to our mind. I have family members who are like the rocky soil. At one time time they were in church and their lives seemed to be great, then the sun came out and now they are no where to be found.

My understanding of the thorns is the people we hang around. The plant couldn't grow and produce fruit because of it's surroundings. Sometimes our hearts can be right, but we are too unwilling to let go of our friends so we end up dying anyway. If you are the good soil and you know someone who is in thorny soil then make an effort to invite them to hang out with you. You never know what that can do for someone...

So the question is posed, what type of soil are you? If you're one of the first three (path, rocky or thorny), what type of soil do you want to be? Romans 12 tells us that we are to renew our minds. This renewal is a way that we can change our hearts. If you aren't the good soil but want to be, first make sure that Jesus is your savior. Romans 10:9 says that if you believe with your heart that Jesus is Lord, and confess with your mouth that God raised him from the dead then you will be saved. That is the absolute BEST choice you can ever make!

Next comes the process of sanctification, the relationship with Jesus and allowing him to convict you. But know this, you can feel conviction and not change a thing. YOU must decide to give into that conviction. It can be very difficult at times, you are essentially killing your flesh so a part of you is dying. Make sure you stay in your word and in your quiet time with Jesus!




What would this world look like if the majority of the population was good soil that was producing thirty, sixty, or a hundred times what was sown?!

~Awaken Us~
Brenna Stanford

No comments:

Post a Comment